I have received some correspondence from Kerry Stanaway a descendant of Henare Stanaway along with the attached photograph. The photograph was copied to Kerry from one of his relatives Lynette McManemin the great grand daughter of Margaret McElroy, who was Henare’s wife, Rose’s sister.
Emails have been flowing around on who the people are in the photograph, the date and occasion.
We have so far come to the following;
- This is a wedding photograph
- Date – somewhere between 1900 to 1910
- Perhaps the couple seated are Henare and Rose Stanaway – see comparisons below
- Due to number 3. above we have to assume then it is one of their children’s wedding
- If we are correct with the dates then it could be either – Joseph and Ethel (1902), James and Elizabeth (1904), or Henry and Emily (1906) – at this stage I am not sure if this could be John and Nora (1911) as Rose had passed away in 1910.
Authors Note – I have since had some correspondence that we do not think the couple are Joseph and Ethel
The clue to unlocking this may lie with the 2 gentlemen standing – The gentleman on the left looks very similar to Archibald Stanaway.
Authors note – Do all three men in the photograph have the same nose?
In Henare Stanaway’s comparison – can we confirm these are one in the same person, same chin, nose , similar facial hair and brow.
Authors note – It is possible that Henare looked more European in appearance in latter years much like his older half brother William, and much like my grandmother did
Rose Stanaway nee McElroy comparison
Authors note – I believe this looks very much like Rose
We would like help especially from those descendants of Henare and Rose Stanaway who may be able to identify who the people are and who’s wedding this is. Please leave a reply below.
Many thanks to Lynette McManemin for sharing this photograph – hopefully someone out there can help answer these questions.